2 April 2012: One step at a time. I first drill the holes in the cover using the traced line as a guide. (Each hole 3/16" outboard of the line.) Then I clamped the cover in place and drilled each hole followed by a cleco. The process required me to take the cover off and on about four times.
4 March 2012: The insert is fitted. The aft edge has to be trimmed. As well as all the edges. I am considering waiting until the fuselage is covered and painted before enlarging the holes, fitting the tinnerman nuts, and trimming the edges. A close look will reveal a hole marked with an "X". A little epoxy putty and no one will know. (Except everyone that visits this web page.)
Adjusting the trim actuator arm. I've decided to do this before covering the fuselage since I'm also installing a trim position sensor. At final assembly I'll have to recheck my work.
7 April 2012: So, I ask my rocket-scientist-avionics-genius friend about a power supply to calibrate the trim. He said, "Use one of mine. I have seven."
I adjusted the length of the trim arm and temporarily pinned it in place. I also glued the trim sensor arm in place.
8 April 2012: The trim sensor is glued in place.
Cargo Bay: Years ago I supplemented my income by making boat canvas. I was pretty good at it and developed enough knowledge to know that this piece of work is quite complex and unique. It would take me three or four attempts to come up with something adequate. Instead of trying to make it myself I purchased the Cargo Bay from Kitfox.
15 April 2012: Installing the Rear Cargo Bay Attach Tube. This took about 15 minutes after I spent the whole afternoon cleaning and rearranging the shop. This tube supports the rear upper edge of the cargo sack.
24 April 2012: I've had very little time for the kit over the last couple of days. I did manage to drill the mounting holes for the floor of the Cargo Bay. I'll say again that I'm not a big fan of rivnuts but, sometimes they are the best solution.
ELT Mounting: My inspiration for this mounting are some photos sent to me by Kitfox. Their design featured two aluminum bars. Since I had some stock .050 aluminum sheet left over from a project with the Cessna I decided to make my mounting out of a single sheet. The advantage of having the ELT mounted high is that it's very accessible.
25 April 2012: I've drilled and clecoed the ELT bracket. I then clamped the whole thing in place and, after adjusting it to an ideal position, I drew cut lines on the back.
27 April 2012: Another makeshift bending fixture. Making a bracket for the ELT antenna. Many Kitfox builders mount their ELT antennas inside the fuselage in spite of an ongoing debate about whether this will inhibit the signal or not. Recently I read some reports of ELTís with internal antennas being activated with little or no signal degradation. This convinced me that itís okay to do it this way.
30 April 2012: The only difference between the first and second photo is the first photo shows a trail fitting and the second shows it glued. Just the aluminum tubing is glued. The wood is propped in place
4 May 2012: I ran the cable for the trim sensor.
6 May 2012: I spotted and drilled the mounting holes for the antennas. After covering and painting the fuselage I'll mount them permanently. I'll have to sand away some of the powder coating to ensure an adequate ground.
8 May 2012: I've faired the razorback to the leading edge of the vertical stabilizer. Fairing with Hysol requires more labor and doesn't feather as nice as Super-Fill. Since the Hysol's primary function is to adhere the two parts, fairing was secondary. any roughness will smooth when covered with fabric.
Door Angles and Side Stringers, 21 May 2012: The past couple of weeks have been filled with activity. Porches to be re-screened, rehearsals and concerts, and a very old Cessna in need of maintenance. In the cracks I was able to do some work on the kit. I've been told by a few Kitfox builders that the door angles gave them fits. With that in mind I'm approaching this task with great caution.
I've discovered that my kit features a new version of the door angles. These wrap completely around the door frame. Since it's a little different from the manual I was somewhat on my own at figuring how to install them. In the end it was easier than I anticipated.
25-26 May 2012: The starboard door angles have been glued. I've filled the gaps with Super-Fil. The masking tape is an attempt to keep the Super-Fil from sagging. The shop has been cleaned and re-arranged. I'm beginning the process of cleaning and fairing the fuselage and tail feathers for covering.
30 May 2012: I begin sanding the Super-Fil.
2 June 2012: Filling and sanding is complete.
More on Page 10