Kitfox Page One, Two, Three, Four, Five, Six, Seven, Eight, Nine, Ten, Eleven, Twelve, Thirteen, Fourteen, Fifteen , Sixteen, Seventeen, Eighteen, Nineteen, Twenty

 

ADS-B: While I'm not required to have ADS-B until 2020 now is the easiest time to install it. Before everything is buttoned  up.

 

12 July 2016: I'm installing a NavWork ADS600-EXP UAT. This is the unit that is approved for experimental aircraft.

 

 

 

 

A feature of the Kitfox that I like is the access to the back of the instrument panel. Just remove the cowling. I had to do this for painting anyway. When the boot cowl is permanently installed it will be sealed with silicone. This will make it harder to remove but, with a little bad language, it can still be done

 

 

 

Locating the UAT antenna was problematic. The documentation specified that it be mounted on the bottom of the aircraft at least 5 feet from the transponder antenna. The only place that met that requirement and still be accessible was the tail. I say accessible but, if had to access it on the finished airplane, I'd have to remove the horizontal tail surfaces. I'm hoping I never have to do that. In these photos you can see that I fashioned an aluminum backing plate that wedges between the longerons.

 

 

Mounted! The tailskid should prevent the antenna from touching the ground should the tail find itself in that position. I prepared the gluing surfaces with a scotch brite pad, which explains why some of the fabric looks a little disheveled. My Rocket-Scientist friend assured me that this arrangement provides an adequate ground plain for this kind of antenna. We'll find out if he's right. You will also notice that the rudder cable is in the way of the antenna lead. A 90 degree connector is on order.

 

 

30 July 2016

 

 

Almost complete: All that's left is to connect the unit to the antenna. (The coax is in the mail.)

 

 

 

 

Final Installation of the Pitot Tube: If you've been patient enough to have followed me all these years you may remember my installation of a shelf for the pitot tube. The time has come for me to complete the installation. The only thing left to fabricate was a plate to accept the screws and protect the fabric.

 

 

 

Extra: Our landing at Cedar Key in our old Cessna.

 

 

 

 

2 November 2016: I know! It's been a while since the last post. The reason is simple. Due to the fact that I've been burdened with other projects I have not done much work on the Kitfox. The last of these is wrapping up so, in two or three weeks I should be back to work on my favorite project and giving you updates.

Meanwhile, the kitfox is registered with the FAA and is officially: N673LT

Stay with me. I'm entering the home stretch or, if you prefer, short final.

 

 

Painting the Cowling

 

 29 December 2016: I'm back to work!! Once again proceeding at a snail's pace. Sanding and filling, filling and sanding. and occasionally spraying a coat of paint. The second and third photo shows the cowling after the first coat of primer and some super-fil over the boo-boo's.

 

 

 

 

 11 February 2017: Not much to show since the last update. Lots of sanding and painting. Another coat of yellow and I'll be mounting the cowling on the plane.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 3 March 2017: Cowling is in place!

 

 

 

 

Fabricating Wing Root Fairings

 

 16 March 2017: Making patterns for the trailing edge fairing. Why am I using black poster board? It's what I had around the house.

 

 

 

 

 

 From the poster board to the finished part.

 

 

 

 

 

 Leading edge root fairings. In the first photo the pattern is upside down.

 

 

 

 

 Completed fairings. Except for paint.

 

 

 

 

15 April 2017: Final Details, All the things to be done to finish the project.

 

 Rudder: This job was easier than I expected. For now I'm not installing the horizontal tail surfaces until I'm finished with decals and graphics.

 

 

 

 

 

 Doors: Look closely. You can see that I've installed the gas struts. They work perfectly!

You'll notice I've mounted the wheel pants. The inspector wants them on the plane for weight and balance and inspection. I plan to remove them before the first flight and paint them before they're re-mounted.

 

 

 

Presently I'm painting. All the little bits and pieces, such as wing tips, inspection covers, prop spinner, etc..

 

6 May 2017: Painting complete!

 

 

 

 

 Data Plate: The backing plate is a little awkward. The Inspector wants a solid link between the plate and the steel fuselage frame. I riveted it to an unused welded tab. Everything is stainless steel. The data plate, backing plate, and rivets. With a little more effort I may have gotten the plate flat against the fabric. But, working in the tight space, I decided to be satisfied with what I got.

 

 

 

 2 June 2017: Graphics! The 12in numbers are a little awkward  and tend to dominate the fuselage. For that reason I'm foregoing the stripe. Since we live close to the Bahamas the 12in numbers will be necessary when we want to fly there.. The only other decal will be the new Kitfox logo on the vertical tail when it becomes available.

 

 

 

 Final installation of the horizontal tail. Yes, that's a temporary pin holding the scissors link on the trim.

 

 

 

 

 Final inspection. I already found a mistake in the flaperon rigging. I have to proceed carefully.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 
   

Lesson Resources    Links    Voyage of the Bellatrix    Scuba Diving    N6496B    Home